Sunday, August 05, 2007

Rachels'Surprise

Our eldest daughter turned 33 on Wed !st.August. On the Monday two days before her birthday I organized for them to come to our home for dinner for her birthday. That night I had to drop something off to her place when I walked in a very excited Ryan (8 years old) pulled me aside and told me he had organized a surprise party for his mum. He had already started ringing people and had a list of who he wanted to come. After asking him a few pertinent questions like where was he going to have it, what food, what time and what about a cake . . think he realised that a little more planning had to occur. He was sooo excited. We had quite a lot on the next few days with catering and working. He said he had called Andrea (his best friends mum) and she said perhaps he had better let me know what he was planning. First he thought I could have it at my house we could have an icecream cake and it would be after school. Well it started off very simple. I want to be 8 again. He said he was going to go shopping with his mum for food .

Because I was working until 3 that day we decided to have it at their house, I don't know what money he was going to use or how it was going to remain secret.We decided to enlist the help of Nicole for some food. I ordered a cake no time to make one and cooked some bits. Rachels' friends bought some food with them as well. I decided to have it at my place then so I could do stuff so it was a surprise. Rachel cottoned on something was going on. She thought it was at their house so she tidied up. After school they went home to get her presents telling her they had to go to my house for something. They raced inside making everyone hide in the dining room to shout surprise. We waited and waited and she didn't come inside. I went out to get her she was laughing. She made the appropriate sounds and faces to show it was a suprise much to the delight of the kids. It was a great party and we are so proud of Ryan for thinking up the idea and wanting his mum to celebrate her day with a surprise. It was all his idea. At 8 and doing that, imagine how he is going to propose to his girlfriend in years to come. He is a very thoughtful lad and I am proud to have him as my grandson. They shopped for presents as well with their dad. I think it was one of Rachels best birthdays. She is so lucky to have those kids. I also appreciate my workmates as they shoved me out of the door at work so I could race home to get there before everyone else . Happy Birthday Rachel and next time maybe a few extra days notice would be good. It was funny to have more kids than adults at an adults party. That would not have been Ryans ulterior motive I don't think. photos to follow

No comments: