Monday, May 18, 2009

Peter Yacoumis

I was fortunate 36 years ago to meet Nick Yacoumis and fall in love with him. Then I met his family and again I fell in love with them. When Nick's dad died last week I had the privilege to write and deliver his eulogy at his funerel. The day itself was a balmy sunny Autumn day . I was not sure whether I would make it through without breaking down so I had a couple of contingency plans ..one of them being Bethany our 8 year old grand daughter ,Peters great grand daughter who volunteered to read it. I somehow don't think she would have been able to do it as she was the most distressed of all the kids . As I stood up to walk to the lecturn I realised the enormity of what I was doing. There was a large attendance. As I looked up to start speaking, from some where I received a feeling of calm and peace and was able to talk and chat about Peters life on this earth. I was so proud of all the grandchildren as they were very respectful of the occasion. We are all going to miss him for a lot of different reasons but there is a little bit of him in his children, grandchildren and great grandchildren and his great,great grand daughter. Mostly, the man I married is the epitomy of his dad. What a legacy he has left to this world. The Funeral Director Mike commented to us on the day we organised his service and after the funeral what a great feeling he had helping us organise the celebration. Dad did not particularly like flowers so we brought Olive branches from his trees, some tomatoes from his garden and almonds from his trees that he had cracked. These were all placed on his coffin. We also had Chocolate frogs for all. He was named Grandpa Frog by Ella so she could decide which grandpa we were talking about. He was named that because he would give the grand children a chocolate frog when they came to visit. I have also posted a copy of the eulogy if you want to peruse.We are so happy Dad was home and independant until the end. Still driving, playing bingo and cards the week before he went into hospital. No wonder he had a smile on his face.
29/01/29 – 11/05/09

No comments: