Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A new hat

Here A lovely couple at Disneyland


Well after 3 days at Disneyland and California Dreaming. A change of space and a change of pace was in order for all of us. 3 days of stimulation of all the senses for some is all that is needed. Off to L.A. and Hollywood for the day.
Dear Bethany has motion sickness …not on rides that spin you around or high speed roller coasters but sitting in a car. We had a good hour drive by 8 seater taxi from our acommodation not far into our trip both Bethany and Sophie felt nauseous. The only thing we had on hand to catch what came up was my hat…its funny now when I think about it. You had to be there. So I now have a new hat even though Tomi offered my old one back. The rest of the day went well. Found some great coffee while kids went to the Ripley’s Believe it or not.Ready for the 3D experience

Nick and I relived past memories of our time in Hollywood several years ago with Niamh and Hin. The only star on the walk that Ryan wanted to see was Michael Jackson but that was covered up by a red carpet out side the Kodak Theatre where the Oscars are held every year. He was great about it though.
Madame Tussauds beckoned the two eldest and Nick while we went shopping for a new hat. Of course baseball caps are the go in the USA so no hat for me…even though Tomi tried to tell me that I looked good in many I tried on. Time to get some much needed sea air. Did I mention how hot it is here and humid?
Off to Santa Monica Beach and Pier by bus was next .The kids were very relaxed and it was nice to spend some one on one time with them as it had been very hectic over the last few days. They are great kids. I love Santa Monica …it is so peaceful on a sunny afternoon walking up the board walk listening to the “buskers” fully decked out with sound systems and the like. Not in your face just in the background. The kids loved it too. Especially the different little booths doing sculpture and sketching memoirs of people…of course they chose the caricatures to take home. I had a chance for some time to reflect on my lucky life. Having the opportunity to get to know our eldest daughter again and her partner Tomi who is going to make a fantastic dad and the children. Sitting on the steps in the sunshine listening to live music performed so well, was my highlight for the day for me …and I found a hat. This one is more absorbent for our next car ride haha

No comments: